Here are some ideas I’ve had for projects, products, businesses, etc., most of which I probably don’t have time for and will never get to.
- Online community-sourced wiki-style database of components, symbols, and footprints for EDA software (like SnapEDA, but free and open like Wikipedia–not a business)
- Open source custom firmware for printers and scanners (like OpenWrt)
- A service that provides hard to find replacement parts for appliances, cars, etc. by keeping a catalog of models and 3D printing or CNCing them
- A better programming IDE that can understand code and generate a visual representation of a program so that more time can be spent on algorithm design, optimization, and functionality rather than syntax.
- A modern, lightweight, and high performance GUI toolkit for Linux with features such as auto layout, better accessibility, Vulkan GPU acceleration, Wayland, variable DPI and scaling, distro agnosticism, multi-monitors, and doesn’t try to be a desktop environment.
- Website that tracks software packages across different Linux distributions with good search and filtering so that new software can be discovered more easily.
- Linux settings app (similar to Switchboard in elementaryOS) that is desktop environment agnostic, with each settings panel available as a separate package, and basic/power user modes.
- A hardware company that focuses on producing high quality laptops that are designed for maximum usablilty, ruggedness, and repairability.